Thursday, November 9, 2017

THE WATERWITCH RESTORATION IS UNDERWAY


I had time to work on the Waterwitch again today. The first thing I'm doing is fixing it so it is a runner. The compression is 55lbs but I don't know what it should be. I haven't been able to find info online yet but I'm still looking. I did find a users manual and parts list on ebay and so I put up a bid but as for the technical data, I'm not finding it.
The spark appears to be strong. All I have to do is go out to my garage, turn the lights off and pull the cord. The spark is bright and you can hear it snap. ....Strange thing is that it doesn't run right and I have seen motors with dirty point behave the same way.
The motor starts up but misfires a lot and generally runs rough. The spark advance didn't do anything at first, but when I move it to the fast position and lean up the mixture it kicks right up. Unfortunately, when you drop it down to slow it won't idle unless you open the mixture needle back up. I was taking a video when I first discovered this:


I used 24:1 fuel/oil ratio but because I don't know the technical data I don't want to run it for long. I will take another video when I get the correct mixture.
It seemed to pump water fine. In my experience these motors that predate the rubber impeller always pump water just fine. I can't help but wonder why they all use impellers these days but I would imagine there is a good reason.
For now I'm going to research a little more so I can figure out what's wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

WATERWITCH TANK REPAIR ATTEMPT

...So I began to repair the tank. I am not done yet so this is an attempt to fix it.  The first thing I did was to clean the tank with...