Wednesday, November 1, 2017

THE NEW MEMBER OF MY FLEET; AN ELTO RUDDERTWIN

So, I picked up an awesome motor today! It's a Ruddertwin! I have wanted one of these for a long time. I saw it listed in my area and ran out and bought it for 150 bucks. Sadly the powerhead is currently frozen. 


I took this video earlier today but have since pulled the carburetor and exhaust manifold. It looks like there is rust inside both the cylinders and the crank case. It appears to be light though and might come free with some PB blaster. I have never had success freeing up a rusted powerhead but then again I have never seen one so lightly rusted. I think it is worth trying to fix but I'm not going to be holding my breath either.


This cylinder does not appear to have rust
from the cameras perspective,
but there is minor rust visible to the naked eye


This one has thicker rust but still barely visible to the camera.

 This pic shows the crank shaft as best as possible right now.
It looks really bad from this angle but the connecting rod bearings look fine.

So far it's not looking good as a restorable but time will tell. I am going to be trying to free up this motor sooner than later though so I know weather or not it's worth hanging on to.




No comments:

Post a Comment

WATERWITCH TANK REPAIR ATTEMPT

...So I began to repair the tank. I am not done yet so this is an attempt to fix it.  The first thing I did was to clean the tank with...